LifeWays - Birgit's Blog Birgit's blog Birgit's Blog
Saturday, June 13, 2009

I got on with Bethany House as a reviewer, and in exchange for a free copy of a book I get to post a review - so here is my first one:

How Sweet It Is

"How Sweet It IS" by Alice J. Wisler tells the story of Deena, a chef who moves from the a big city to the hills of North Carolina to start life over after a tragedy. She needs to come to terms with a betrayal, and to learn to trust again - both God and man.

I enjoyed this book. Some of the culinary references seem too forced, and some of the lines too cliche. It seemed a while for the story to get going - at first I was not sure I really wanted to continue reading. Some of the characters appear to be only underdeveloped stereotypes.

But much of the story rings true. It feels like the author knows what she is writing what she knows - that these are issues she has dealt with herself. I especially enjoyed the fact that this was less about romance than about Deena growing and changing, and finding joy in unexpected places.

I recommend this for a light, enjoyable summer read! (Plus you get some good recipes thrown into the bargain!) I sort of ordered this by accident, since this "Christian romance" isn't something I normally read, but this book had its moments.

I'd give it a 3.2 out of 5.

posted by Birgit
0 comments at 7:59 PM

Comments: Post a Comment