LifeWays - Birgit's Blog Birgit's blog Birgit's Blog
Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's been an interesting couple of weeks. I found a lump in my breast, and since my sister had breast cancer, that was scary. The doctors here were great and got me in right away - I had a mammogram (I just had one in May that was fine, so I was pretty sure this wasn't going to be anything terribly awful, but you never know...), followed by an ultrasound. At that point they told me it was only a cyst (yay!) and referred me to a breast surgeon. I had the final appointment today, and the doc said to just leave well enough alone - it looks fine, and unless it changes, they don't need to do anything. So, all is well.

While waiting for my mammogram (this was a place that only did diagnostic mammograms - no screening ones), I got to talk with another woman there though - her husband got laid off in the last round of HP lay-offs, and she had a mammogram done as one of her "take care of all we can before we lose insurance" activities - and that is when they found a problem. So she was looking at the possibility of breast cancer AND losing her insurance. I was able to tell her about COBRA (which she didn't know about.)

It just got me thinking again about how much I want our health insurance system to change - I've seen too many people get buried under medical bills. It's hard enough to be scared of what's going on with your body *without* having to also worry about how you're going to pay for all this.

posted by Birgit
2 comments at 5:17 PM

Comments:
I am so glad to read that it's only a cyst - PTL!

~Kim in TX
 
Very glad to hear how this ended for you. I still look at my scar on my left side often (from May's surgery) and am so glad it was benign for me too.
 
Post a Comment