LifeWays - Birgit's Blog Birgit's blog Birgit's Blog
Sunday, September 07, 2003

So today I started on my reading adventure - just reading to read. I decided to just start in Matthew. This phrase caught my eye in chapter 1:

"And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly...."
Wait a minute - Joseph is a righteous man. And the way he is practicing that righteousness is by not exposing Mary's sin. As far as Joseph knows at this point in time, Mary came by this pregnancy the old-fashioned way. And this righteous man doesn't point out her sin. He doesn't point fingers. He isn't filled with "righteous" indignation and "righteous" anger. This was a serious thing - yet Joseph chose to cover her sin. To treat her grace-full. To look out for her well-being even in the face of what must have looked like ultimate betrayal.


So often I hear "righteousness" and think "moral superiority" instead of "having the heart of God". I want Joseph's kind of righteousness.......

posted by Birgit
0 comments at 8:41 PM

Comments: Post a Comment